The Council has two Specific Standards which apply its Statements of Principles in specific contexts.
They are binding on all publications which are subject to the Council's jurisdiction. Along with the Statements of Principles, they form the Council's Standards of Practice.
Coverage of Suicide
The Standards relating to Coverage of Suicide were developed by the Council through extensive consultation with the print and electronic media, mental health professionals and service providers who offer support to those at risk of suicide. The Standards cover the following topics:
- General reporting and discussion
- Whether to report an individual instance
- Reporting the method and location
- Reporting with responsibility and balance
- Reporting with sensitivity and moderation
- Sources of assistance.
The Standards relating to contacting patients or residents in similar care facilities were also developed through an extensive consultation process. The Standards cover the following topics:
- Obtaining informed consent from the patient
- Obtaining permission to visit the patient
- Ceasing contact with the patient
Looking for more Standards of Practice?
Search th database for all Standards of PracticeSearch Standards